So, you may have heard of a “Podcast” or “Podcasting”. I just wanted to talk about it a little bit. A “Podcast” or “Netcast” is a way of broadcasting over the internet. There are thousands if not ten’s of thousands of podcasts available on the internet. The best part is that they’re completely free. Though they are not tied to Apple, using Itunes is the easiest way to listen to one.
There are some very good gaming podcasts available, I wanted to share some of my favorites: (All of these are available directly through itunes.)
* Gaming Steve – This is at the top of my list, Steve knows the gaming industry and has very good insight into it.
* 1UP Yours – Another great gaming podcast, this is a group of guys from 1up.com who record once a week. They are fun to listen to and have great info most of the time.
* Broadcast Gamer – I just started listening to Broadcast Gamer recently. This guy has a weekend podcast that is about an hour long and several during the week with deals and reviews.
* The Instance – This is a gaming podcast related to World of Warcraft.
* Xbox Live’s Major Nelson – Major Nelson works for Microsoft and talks about the Xbox every week. He often has interviews with people working on games, this is another insightful view into the gaming industry.
* Evil Avatar – I also just recently started listening to these guys. Phil and Amanda host this one. It’s basically a live show recorded Friday nights, they have a great community of people who call in and talk about games and comic books. Check out their forums for a good group of people.
* The Dice Tower – A podcast about boardgames with Tom Vasel (board game reviewer) and Sam Healey. Usually they do 2 reviews and a “Top Ten” list.
* Have Games, Will Travel – Another boardgame podcast.
* TWIT.tv – not a gaming podcast, but this is one of my favorite podcasters out there, Leo Laporte. The Twit.tv network has maybe 14 different podcasts each week, my favorites are TWIT (this week in technology) and KFI Techguy (recorded from KFI News Radio each Sat. and Sun.).
As you can see these are only a few of many, many podcasts out there. If you want to find your own, you can go to the itunes music store (in itunes) and click on podcasts, there is a plethora of information there!
Also, Podcasting is a great way to share how you feel about a topic. It’s easy to set one up, all you need is a computer with a microphone and an internet provider to host you podcast. Libsyn.com is an ISP that only hosts podcasters, so that may be a good way to start.
Podcasting is here and it’s not going anywhere, so now is the time to get on the bandwagon!